This competition is now closed. Entries have been checked and five winners have been notified by email. Thank you to everyone who entered our competition. For the correct answers, please check below.
Win a set of Carol Ann Duffy’s three beautiful Christmas books.
Toes in the Picador office are tingling as the weather cools, the Christmas tree is decorated and strains of Ding Dong Merrily on High waft up from the Sales and Marketing departments. And, with yet another Christmas poem from the wonderful Carol Ann Duffy this year, it seemed only fair to share the Christmas spirit.
We’ve got five sets of Carol Ann Duffy’s gorgeous Christmas books, The Christmas Truce, Another Night Before Christmas and Mrs Scrooge, to give away.
Simply send your postal address and your answers to the three questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org (putting ‘CAD Christmas Comp’ in the subject line) by the 7th December – five sets of correct answers will win!
Hint: it might be worth taking a look at our Christmas Truce blog pages as well as Carol Ann’s author page for some clues.
1. Who said that the Christmas Truce of 1914 was the ‘one human episode amid all the atrocities which have stained the memory of the war’?
2. In which year was Carol Ann Duffy appointed Poet Laureate?
3. Who illustrated Carol Ann Duffy’s The Christmas Truce?
Good luck and happy Christmas!
This competition is now closed and winners have been contacted via email. The correct answers to the questions above are below:
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said that the Christmas Truce of 1914 was the ‘one human episode amid all the atrocities which have stained the memory of the war’.
2. Carol Ann Duffy was appointed Poet Laureate in 2009
3. Carol Ann Duffy’s The Christmas Truce was illustrated by David Roberts
Once again, many thanks to all who entered and congratulations to our winners.