We're delighted to announce that we'll be publishing The Good People, a new novel from Hannah Kent the bestselling author of Burial Rites, in February 2017.
Here's what we can tell you about The Good People...
When Nóra’s beloved husband dies, she is left alone to care for her young grandson Micheál.
Micheál cannot speak and cannot walk and Nóra is desperate to know what is wrong. What happened to the healthy, happy boy she met when her daughter was still alive?
Nóra hires Mary to help her at home and Mary arrives in the valley just as the whispers are spreading: stories of unexplained misfortunes, of illnesses, and the rumours that Micheál is a changeling child, bringing bad luck to the valley. Desperate for help, the two women seek out Nance. Nance knows how to use the plants and berries of the woodland; she understands the magic in the old ways. To the local priest, she is a threat, but to the valley people she is a healer. And she might be able to help Micheál.
As these three women are drawn together, their world of folklore and faith, of ritual and stories, tightens around them.
We spoke to Art Director, Rachel Vale, about how the beautiful cover design for The Good People came about.
It was an absolute joy working on The Good People. From the very opening pages I was overwhelmed by the rural landscape and how intrinsically it echoed the beauty and fragility of the lives it surrounded. The atmosphere the book created for me was almost a physical one that stayed with me long after I finished reading.
And it was this quiet, rugged beauty that I wanted to convey in the package for The Good People: the wonder of the natural world and its stunning detail. I have long been excited by the idea of using a leaf skeleton on a book cover, and the journey of its decay coupled with the strength it retains is a perfect motif for The Good People.
We have used an uncoated paper stock and printed foil on top of it, emphasising the bareness of the leaf's surroundings.
The foil itself plays over and under the typography, as though almost adapting to the nature of the letterforms. Depending on the time of day, the natural light and how it reflects on the foil, this cover feels new almost every time you look at it.
>>>Hannah Kent's The Good People is available for pre-order now
We're giving one lucky reader the chance to win one of our beautiful limited edition advanced copies of Hannah Kent's The Good People. To be in with a chance of winning just fill out the form below.
To enter this Promotion you must be a resident of the United Kingdom and aged 18 years old or over at the time of entry. All entries must be received by 23:59 on Monday 31 October 2016. Full terms and conditions below.
Terms & Conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully. By entering into this The Good People advanced copy prize draw (“Promotion”), you agree that you have read these terms and that you agree to them. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in your disqualification from the Promotion.
1. This Promotion is run by Picador Books a trading division of Macmillan Publishers International Limited a company registered in England with registered number 02063302. Its registered office is at: Cromwell Place, Hampshire International Business Park, Lime Tree Way, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG24 8YJ (“Promoter”).
2. To enter this Promotion you must be: (a) a resident of the United Kingdom or Eire; and (b) aged 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
3. This Promotion is not open to directors or employees (or members of their immediate families) of Promoter or any subsidiary of Promoter. Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants.
4. The Promotion is open for entries between 10:00 on Wednesday 14 September 2016 and 23:59 on Monday 31 October 2016.
5. No purchase is necessary to enter this Promotion and will not increase your chances of winning.
6. You can enter this Promotion in the following way: Filling out the form provided at http://www.picador.com/blog/september-2016/hannah-kent-s-the-good-people-coming-in-2017
7. There is no restriction on the number of entries that an eligible person can make.
8. Promoter accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach Promoter by the closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Entries via agents or third parties are invalid. No other form of entry is permitted. Please keep a copy of your entry as we will be unable to return entries or provide copies.
9. The prize for the Promotion consists of the following: one advanced copy of The Good People by Hannah Kent.
10. The prizes shall be awarded as follows: One winner will be chosen at random from submitted entries, via a randomised computer selection process.
11. You confirm that your entry is your own original work, is not defamatory and does not infringe any laws, including privacy laws, whether of the UK or elsewhere, or any rights of any third party, that no other person was involved in the creation of your entry, that you have the right to give Promoter and its respective licensees permission to use it for the purposes specified herein, that you have the consent of anyone who is identifiable in your contribution or the consent of their parent, guardian or carer if they are under 18 (or the applicable age of majority), it is lawful for you to enter and that you agree not to transfer files which contain viruses or any other harmful programs.
12. The winner(s) of the Promotion shall be notified as follows: by email correspondence from Picador Books by within five  working days of the competition closing date.
13. The winner(s) will be required to confirm acceptance of the prize within ten  working days and may be required to complete and return an eligibility form stating their age and residency details, among other details. Promoter will endeavour to ensure that winner(s) receive their prizes within thirty  days of the date they confirm acceptance of the prize. If a winner does not accept the prize within thirty  days of being notified, they will forfeit their prize and Promoter reserves the right to choose another winner(s). Promoter’s decision is final and Promoter reserves the right not to correspond on any matter.
14. The name, region of residence and likeness of the winners may be used by Promoter for reasonable post-event publicity in any form including on Promoters website and social media pages, in advertising for Picador Books at no cost.
15. You can find out who has won a prize by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to The Good People Competition, Pan Macmillan, 20 New Wharf Road, London, N1 9RR 30 days after the closing date.
16. Promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend these Terms and Conditions or change the Prize (to one of equal or greater value) as required by the circumstances. No cash equivalent to the Prize is available.
18. Promoter may at its sole discretion disqualify any entrant found to be tampering or interfering with the entry process or operation of the website, or to be acting in any manner deemed to be disruptive of or prejudicial to the operation or administration of the Promotion.
19. Other than for death or personal injury arising from negligence of the Promoter, so far as is permitted by law, the Promoter hereby excludes all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense, whether direct or indirect, howsoever caused in connection with the Promotion or any aspect of the Prize. All activities are undertaken at the entrants own risk. Your legal rights as a consumer are not affected.
20. These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Disputes arising in connection with this Agreement shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.